December 22, 2010

Let me get my magic wand...

3 1/2 year old girl still using the pacifier and Mom is concerned that she is getting an open bite. I tell her, "yeah, she is definitely getting an open bite. Prolonged pacifier use or thumb sucking can cause changes in the position of the teeth and bone. And that is definitely the case here."
Mom says, "Well, what can I do about it."

"Uh...take it away."

"She cries if I take it away."

"Yeah, it's not easy to change habits. It will be a rough week or so while she adapts, but I think cold turkey is the fastest way to get them to stop these kind of habits.You could also try to cut off the pacifier and tell her it's broken, they lose interest pretty quickly."

"Yeah, I did that, but there is a box of uncut ones and she just goes and gets one out of there.Isn't there anything you can do?"

(calculating appropriate response...)

Sure, let me prescribe her a mouth rinse for an antibiotic (parents think antibiotics can fix anything). (too sarcastic...recalculate)

Yes, I will take your child home with me for two weeks and get them through this. I charge $8000 a week for this service. (too sarcastic...recalculate)

Let me get my magic wand. It solves all problems without you doing any difficult parenting or demanding anything that makes your child develop any kind of coping skills. (too sarcastic...recalculate)

Yeah, I know it's tough. But it really is the best thing for her. Stick with it and hopefully we can avoid a long orthodontic treatment. Happy Holidays! (yeah, that's a good one, go with that).

4 comments:

)en said...

ha ha! love this. love your dentist stories. also love "recalculating." I love everything.

Pedaling said...

couldn't the mom just clip the other pacifiers in the drawer?

Amy Martinsen said...

Wow...you are so much nicer than me...I just thought of so many "recalculations" you have no idea - I commend your ability to recalculate...I should take that up - I think it's also called a filter :)
oh ya...where's my holiday cuteness, and don't start recalculating!!!

Rob said...

Pedaling: Exactly! Normal parents like you and I can see that, but these parents really don't make that connection. It's like the parents who say their kids won't drink water. Yeah! If I offered my kid the choice of juice, soda, or water everytime guess what their going to choose?!?

I will try to post some "holiday cuteness" later since Annie's eye balls can only tolerate about 30 seconds of computer screen right now!