Twitter has got to be the worst thing to happen to stupid people in a generation. Normally, your racist, insensitive, ignorant comment would be confined to your own brain or at the very least the few people in your immediate surroundings. But now, with the advent of this technological advance, you can stream these thoughts live to thousands of people. To make things worse, if you are even moderately famous, even if you don't have a lot of followers, some media person will hear about your tweet and write an article for millions of others. Seriously, Twitter needs to have a class for all famous people before tweeting is allowed.
Here are some examples:
WNBA Cappie Pondexter about the earthquake and Tsunami in Japan...
"Pondexter tweeted on Saturday: “What if God was tired of the way they treated their own people in there own country! Idk guys he makes no mistakes.”
She later tweeted: “u just never knw! They did pearl harbor so u can’t expect anything less.”"
Obviously, people were outraged. Apparently, she was surprised by this and after someone told her it was dumb she later tweeted, "“I wanna apologize to anyone I may hurt or offended during this tragic time. I didn’t realize that my words could be interpreted in the manner which they were.” Not sure how else she thought they would be interpreted.
Another example, Arizona Cardinal's player Darnell Docket about a shooting at Chandler Mall.
Was the guys who shot some1 at the mall today was they Black? Cuz its hard 2 believe they would run in the mall!! Probaly white or mexicans! Cuz blacks wouldn't run in a mall after shooting chances on getting caught is 100% that's why!!
People called him a racist for some reason. He was surprised by this and tweeted,"FYI I'm far from being racist, I care about people to much to be racist. Just incase it crossed anyones mine, I just speak my opinon!"
And of course, the King of Stupid Tweets, Kanye West. I cannot even contain them all here, but he has to be one of the dumbest famous people of all time, and it's really entertaining to watch him in interviews. Josh Grobin summarized them well. (Caution: bleeped out language on one tweet)
That's why I don't post here very often. You need to keep your popularity down to keep a low profile. I don't want any of this out for the entire public to see. Just you three or four readers.
9 months ago
7 comments:
Well said, well said. Why exactly do we need constant streaming of all our thought? Permanently recorded, no less.
That being said, if only you could tweet your comments during American Idol, then everyone would FINALLY appreciate your brilliant wit... and your utter disdain for Scotty. (Why does he remind me so much of Kurt Adams? Anyone?)
I don't know, but could I have gotten in the same "line" as Pia for hair and skin??? Just solidifies my belief that Heavenly Father loves some women more than others. AND I have a theory on the whole tweeting thing: God just got tired of how stupid some people were behaving, so provided a way for all to share this burden...ala the birth of the tweet, the perfect way for the world to see idiots in the moment and God doesn't have to be the only witness.
(I didn't want to comment for fear of adding to your popularity, but I couldn't hold back.)
Amen. I also hate the whole idea of Twitter. I feel like it's just a record of everything wrong with the world today and that, truly, nothing really worthwhile comes out of it. So yeah, hate it. But I LOVED that clip.
Can I say Rob, that Josh Groban thing made me look a little silly laughing out loud to my computer and I love your extremely wise mother-inlaw's theory.
Hi Rob & Annie! Hope you and the family are well.
In response to your blog I wrote something similar on my facebook page.
For e.g
A couple of Bball players from the NZ/Australian league tweeted about the refereeing during a game and were fined for their comments on twitter.
The most ridiculous was this story ->>Disciplinary action after Facebook comment:
A Burger King staff member in Dunedin is facing disciplinary action after comments she posted on her Facebook page.
The 27-year-old wrote, "real jobs don't underpay and overwork people like BK does".
Unite Union National Director, Mike Treen says the woman is stressed and upset at facing a serious misconduct charge.
He says the comment was made on a private page, not open to public view.
Mr Treen believes people should be able to make comments in private spaces without fear of being sacked.
http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/mp/8774061/disciplinary-action-after-facebook-comment/10/
I know it isn't facebook/twitter itself that gets people into trouble. It's people getting themselves in trouble by their status updates. Makes you aware that the consequence of the freedom of speech can be the opposite-> condemnation. When it becomes "newsworthy" by the media they stigmatise your simple thoughts and feelings which was not what you intended. So beware and think twice before you click on "Share".
Always well said. Take Care
Pharaoh
I, too, loved the clip and I, too, hate Twitter. The clip confused me about Josh Groban though. Is he cheesy? Cool? Funny? Who is Josh Groban.
Yeah, we had a girl at work get fired for posting some unfortunate words about another doctor in the office on her facebook page. (They all post nice things about me)
Does anyone else have the conference table song stuck in their head?
Post a Comment