May 5, 2008

Mr. Ed

The Kentucky Derby was this last weekend. Annie and I were tempted to make a spontaneous trip to Louisville, only 5 hours away. But kids seemed to have killed the chance for spontaneity. Having one kid to find a babysitter for is no big deal, a second kid adds a whole lot of trouble for whoever is doing it. We need to get into a family ward with teenage babysitters we can pay.

Anyway, I like watching horse racing, at least the big races. When did this tradition of giving race horses crazy names start? Whoever comes up with these horse names is genius. There are some sweet ones out there. War Admiral, Smarty Jones, Real Quiet, Affirmed. Actually looking at a list of some racehorse names apparently there is no skill involved at all, you can just name it whatever the heck you want, kind of like a band name. As long as the horse/band is good, the name is cool.

My horses would be named (and this is kind of a word association game, with no prior thought):

Brick House
Smokey Peanut
Truly Touted
Betonme

What would your horse name be? There are no wrong answers, just start typing!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, love horse racing - I highly recommend reading Sea Biscuit! Which brings me to the name thing. It has always saddened me that Sea Biscuit - this amazing race horse - couldn't have had a better name....! But I digress, let's see, possible horse names:
Eat'n Ground
Like'n my Tail?
Saddle Sore
Burr Under your Saddle
Horse Snot
Road Apple
Well, that was fun,
Lovies, Grandma M.

Rob said...

I like Saddle Sore, that would be a winner. Did you know that Big Brown (the winner of the kentucky derby) was named that because The owner owns a trucking firm and named his horse Big Brown after renewing a major contract with UPS Freight. That is kind of a lame reason to name him that. But, he may win the triple crown and be a legend.

The Gardner Gang said...

Hmmmm, how about:
Sister Sally
Gone with the Wind
Arriba
Winter Warrior
Finding Freedom
Tailwind Trixi
Okay, I'm done for now. If I'd had more time, I'm sure I could have come up with the perfect name.
Carolyn

)en said...

Whistlin' Dixie
Aunt Jamima
Paul Revere's Ride
Hoedown
Hole in My Bucket
Rocket Rag


ha ha haaaa.. these are so stupid. I seriously typed out whatever nonsense phrase came into my brain.