Working in a medicaid clinic poses a lot of difficulties. I knew there would be disrespect for appointment times. I knew there would be no-shows. I knew there would be a lot of bombed out mouths. But one thing I did not anticipate, was the challenge to my ability to pronunciate, and the scorn I would face from Mothers who listened to my attempts.
There are some crazy names given to some children. I hate to say this, but you will probably be able to surmize from the list, they are largely inner-city names. When I go get a new patient from the waiting room there is a form with all their information waiting for me. From this I must try to decipher the pronunciation of this made-up name and call the patient back. Here is an example of my experience.
I pick up the form and see the name, Jamek.
"Jah-mek?"
No answer.
"Jah-mek?"
Long pause as I study the name.
Mother who is sitting right in front of me, and looking at me this entire time says, with complete disdain, "Do you mean Jah-meek?!"
"Uh, yes, that would be Jah-meek." (Again it was spelled Jamek).
What the? How many kids are named Jamek. And if you wanted it to be Jameek, spell it that way as long as you're making up names! I think a lot of these people are trying to spell their kids names phonetically, but somebody is not so hooked on phonics.
Here are some of my patients over the last couple weeks.
Aad
Keyone
Tai-Brionne
Jacquane
Sincere (no joke)
Nevaeh (Heaven backwards, this is a popular one)
Catrail (Not cat-trail, I did NOT fall for this one)
Ojahnique
Nyzeria
Shaton
Qianya (yep no Qu- How do your pronouce that? Still not sure).
Cute kids, often with pretty sounding names once you hear them pronounced. But I am amazed how often these parents are ticked when we mispronounce the name. I admit, I am tired of telling people it's Halle, not Haylee, but I didn't make up a name and then spell it in an unthinkable way. They HAD to think this was going to happen when filling out that birth certificate form.
I know this is a long post, but I just can't resist this story. It may not be so funny when reading it, but I thought it was hilarious. This happended to a fellow resident of mine. He came to do an exam on a hygiene patient, and when he came to the chair he asked what her name was.
"It's Secret."
Resident: "Oh, you can tell me, what is it?"
Kid: "It's secret!"
Resident looks at the chart, sure enough it IS Secret, spelled Cecret.
Sorry kids, get used to it, you're going to deal with it for the rest of your lives. Please don't do it to your own children.
11 months ago
9 comments:
I recently heard of a lady that named her child Meconium. Yep, not lying...the black poop whilst in utero. The other bizarre one was Mavity, a cute little baby girl and they named her Mavity. After us (how flattering), but is that REALLY a GIRL name? Or even a first name? Seriously, people!
Don't get me started on the made-up names!!! Why would parents do that to their children? It's hard enough out there in the ugly world without having to 'splain your name to everyone. And while we're on the subject, I am making a prediction: for those of you who have read Breaking Dawn [Twilight series] it will only be a matter of time befor "Renesmee" hits the streets....really people, think it through!
Well, Jamek should really be spelled Jamik, with an i.
I bet Qianya is pronounced Kee-AWN-yuh. 99% sure.
Cecret is awesome.
Funny post, Rob. High five.
(I'm kind of a comment nazi, aren't i)
Goodonya on Quianya, you nailed it. And why would you consider yourself a comment Nazi? I love your comments.
Had Amanda started compiling her Cadillac Book of Names before you left? She has a pretty good collection of made-up names going. One we recently ran across (which is admittedly not made up but I figured you would get a kick out of it): Scarlet Ann Gray. Seriously.
I've started mispronouncing the names on purpose. Amanda has usually called the mom the night before and given me a heads up about the indignant correction of the pronunciation. I go to the waiting room and say it phonetically anyway. Just my little way of calling attention to the fact that these people have placed ridiculous expectations on the rest of us, bending the rules of spelling and punctuation, all in some misguided effort to be creative, unique, or whatever. Keeps it interesting.
I'm with ya, Rob. Even before I had kids (ahem, kid), my hard-and-fast name rules were these:
1. Something pronounceable. I had the last name Scoresby long enough to know that even a sort of basic name like that can trip people up. So keep it simple.
2. Something spellable. No crazy, unnecessary spellings just for the heck of it. It's just not that cute and it makes it harder for the kid and the rest of the world trying to interact with said kid. Do you want your child to have to correct everyone for the rest of his/her life?
Anyway, you can tell I feel strongly about this. Thanks for taking a stand, at least in the blogging world.
I suppose I am a poor example spelling our kids name Roen. But I hated the W in it for Rowen, it mad it look more feminine, but still it's no Jamek.
I've forgotten how entertaining it can be to read your blogs scoresby. I've been deprived!
I was on clinical placement (speech language pathology, SLP) and I had all these kids who were referred to SLP because of delayed speech-language development and they all seemed to name their children MIRACLE. The miracle is clearly surviving however the developmentally they were far from, minute miniscule if any!
I think when you work for pediatrics in any area you get lumped with the overly-thought-out names. I think it adds colour to life (red: annoying, stupid, exaggerated & yellow: cool, fun and cute)
one last comment
I forgot to add my dad is brilliant at providing names for other family members:
1) Elvis (no explanation there: my brothers name)
2) Tyson (after mike tyson, my cousins names)
3) Flaming Star (my favourite from an Elvis Presley Film, my cousins name)
2) APEC Clinton (my least favourite -Asia Pacific Economic Conf. "APEC" held in NZ in which Pres. Bill Clinton was present. how unfortunate I know!)
5) you would know that my first name is a stunner! ...New-Orleans... and I'm from the Southern Hemisphere. its always an ice-breaker when I meet people, the name seems to bubble curiosity in others. "Who?, what?,where?, why?" --> Sept 1978 Muhammed Ali's defeats Leon Spinks reclaiming his heavy weight championship in New-Orleans, Louisianna. Thus I was named NEW-ORLEANS!
Post a Comment