The other day I went outside to take out the trash and heard the honking of Canadian Geese. I looked up and saw a beautiful flying V of geese heading due...South. Crap! I realized suddenly that we had seen tons of Geese year-around in Columbus and I had not seen any yet in Rochester. Which means...they're passing us! Rochester, WHERE WE LIVE, is not far enough South for Geese! Columbus is only about 400 miles south, and I thought the temperatures might be similar but we would get more snow here, but according to the geese, winter here is going to suck. I actually thought that it would, but seeing that, IN SEPTEMBER, got me a little bummed.
More evidence for a LONG crappy winter: I was running along the Erie Canal the other morning, looking at the still, glassy water reflecting the beautiful red and yellow changing leaves along the bank. Wait, what? Changing leaves!? It's only September! The MIDDLE of September I'm not ready, take me back to August...oh wait, there's no football in August. Darn, this is a conundrum. When Annie and I visited Rochester to find a place to live last May it appeared that Spring had just barely arrived. So we're in for a LONG, COLD, DARK, DREARY, STUPID, winter. Here it comes. I'm not ready, but here it is.
9 months ago
6 comments:
Yeah, I was pretty shocked when Justin pulled of a couple red leaves off our wall-o-vines. It's happening here too. On the mountains the trees are already turning. While I'm looking forward to cooler weather, I'm not happy about a long, wet (read: inside all freaking day) winter.
I think you're going to get dumped on, Rob. Buffalo always gets some insane amount of snow, and that's close to you guys, right? In one storm last year I think they got 11 feet. FEET. In ONE STORM. So have fun!
So, I guess this wouldn't be a good time to ask Dad about winter weather stories from his Mission in Rochester.....? I'm sure it was much, much colder back then - maybe you could Google global warming and Al Gore - he's sure to have some pithy insight to bring you comfort.
Well then I won't tell you that for Halloween NIGHT in our neighborhood we sit with friends OUTSIDE to pass out candy. Oh, and we're wearing SHORT SLEEVES. And, it feels NICE.
By the way, I believe this is the second time I'm commenting on your blog (yes, I am counting) and my link is still missing. I will now choose to be offended.
But I will still come back for more . . .
OK Melinda, you have been granted a coveted spot on our list of friends. Plan on the hits on your blog going through the roof! Also, this is very probationary, since I perused your blog and found that a link to ours was strangely missing. We are only friends with people on a reciprocal basis.
Deal. Your link will now be placed on mine. My status on your blog will now go from voyeur to friend!
Post a Comment