I had another funny name experience last week. My patient's name was Rayannia. I went to the waiting room and asked for "Ray-ah-nee-ah."
The Mom and daughter stood up and the Mom corrected me, "It's Ray-ah-nah."
"Oh," I said, "her name must have been typed in wrong." As I showed her the spelling on the form.
"No," she said with a little annoyance, "that's how you spell it, it's just pronounced Ray-ah-nah."
People! You just made up a name! Spell it however you want, just spell it so it sounds like what you intended. If you want it Rayanna, spell it Rayanna. The "i" is silent?!?! When you put these little things called letters into a word, people want to say the sound that they make. That's kinda the point of the whole written language thing. I don't get it, but it will be a source of constant frustration and hilarity for my stint here.
9 months ago
5 comments:
That's awesome. that's all.
made up names are the best. you definitely can't get annoyed if you give your child a weirdly-spelled name (or a non-name) and someone mispronounces it.
question: do you ever call halle hallelujah? if you say it the way you say her name, it sounds funny. Anyway, it might be something you want to consider. Could be a cool nickname.
It's better than Halletosis!
how about Amarous, who was in the 5th grade class that I taught. She pronounced it am-R-us. But, it was a little too close to amorous. EEW!
Post a Comment