For starters, Thanksgiving is my second favorite holiday, because it surrounds tons of really good food, and football. There are usually at least four kinds of dessert, and no one looks at you funny when you go around for seconds, thirds, and maybe if I'm feeling crazy, fourths. My Mom makes the best cheesecake in the world, and she only makes it at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Then there are leftovers, which may actually be more enjoyable than the actual meal. And pumpkin pie may be the perfect food to have first thing in the morning the following Friday. Following all the food, there are three NFL games, and maybe a college game to enjoy. I don't care who you are, Thanksgiving is freaking awesome. It comes in a close second to Christmas, only because Christmas contains all of the things listed above, plus presents.
Anyway, I was all set to enjoy this blessed day, when Annie keeps complaining of the pains in her stomach she's had since Sunday. I was like, "Yeah, me too, they're called hunger pains." Her pains seemed to be a little more acute than mine, but I do have quite a bit more fat reserves than her.
It continues onto Friday and finally we decide to have her checked out. Unfortunately, by this time, Friday after Thanksgiving, no doctor is in his office, so she had to go to the Emergency Department. 9 hours later she got a CT scan of her abdomen, and she has appendicitis, and it already ruptured! She never had pain in her right side until Friday, never had fever, nausea, vomiting, or any other symptom associated with appendicitis. Even in the ED, her WBC count was only slightly elevated, so it must have just barely ruptured that day. They opperated within an hour or so. This whole thing all happened on Annie's birthday, so our plans were totally shot, and the Doctors didn't even give the appendix back to her in a jar!
She's just too tough, if she were more of a wus we would have been able to get it out without it rupturing. They were still able to do it laproscpically, which is great news, and she is recovering well. Her Mom flew in a couple days later to help with the kids, since she can't lift anything, and I can't have that much time off work.
So in summary, my weekend was totally ruined. I had to wait with her forever in the ED and OR, talk to weird patients at 2 in the morning while waiting for her to get out of surgery, take care of the kids all by myself, do all the housework, take them to Church by myself (hats off to single parents by the way), take care of Annie, and I didn't get to watch nearly enough football. Thanksgiving weekend was ruined! All because Annie couldn't keep her accessory organ with unknown function in control. You don't see me ruining holidays with inflamed organs. My organs know who is boss, and they definitely know not to mess with Thanksgiving! But I am glad she is doing OK, and things worked out fairly conveniently, if you're going to have emergency surgery. So I guess I'll be a "silver lining" guy and be there for her. After all, by the time she's better she owes my like 3 weeks straight of sleeping in!
We're glad our wife and Mommy is OK and feeling better. She also has a much higher pain threshold than we previously thought, so next baby we're going for a natural birth! We love you, and take all the time you need to get better. Until your Mom leaves at least, but then we're going to need you to be recovering ASAP.
11 months ago
12 comments:
Rob, I am way sorry about ruining thanksgiving and my birthday for you. But thanks for being a trooper, for real. It's nice to see someone else changing poopy diapers around here, love it.
Annie,
I completely forgot your bday!!! What a rotten sister I am! I'm looking at my calendar and there it is written in ink "Annie's Bday."
So, anyway... er, uh, "Happy Birthday Annie!" I hope the hospital's ice chips were delicious!
BTW, my family blog is not listed under the FAMILY heading! I'm so offended! Now, people that I've never even met won't click from your blog to mine and find out all about me, my kids, and my husband!
Is there some criteria that I haven't met?
www.goofyfeet.blogspot.com
I can't believe your appendix ruptured! that's so crazy. Sorry it put a damper on the birthday & t-giving. Sean's mom had a stroke over thanksgiving. Talk about a downer. Thanks a lot, mom. (she's doing very well. :) ) (I'm now feeling very jerky, but Rob started it!)
. . . . . ahem. . . . like april i too forgot about your b-day. . . . ahem. . . . HAPPY BIRTHDAY SIS!!!
so i guess because we Martinsen's are so tough our memory is a little lacking. Does it count that i have called you like 80 times since you've had that stupid organ out? :} i DO love you and miss you (get mom to let me come this summer while you have her in your grasp!!!!!!)
Annie, you are totally rude. I can't believe that you did that to Rob. Give him a break!
Annie,
I hope you are feeling recovered from your ruining a major holiday. That must have taken a lot of energy. You better not have appendicitis next year! :) I hope all is well!
Camille
Annie, I'm just glad you have such a caring, sensitive husband. How else could you have managed the pain?
P.S. I want to read your post when Rob's appendix bursts!
My appendix knows better.
Too bad I didn't have such a wonderful husband full of empathy when I got my appendix out. It could have really made things a lot better for me. It was however a week before I started 7th grade and I was just excited that I didn't have to dress out for PE.
Thanks for ruining our Thanksgiving too Annie! We heard you guys were coming down to C-bus for it and then never saw you, we figured you just hated us. Now we know it was all a sick joke to ruin our Thanksgiving!
Next time, get an iphone and watch all those football games IN the OR. And maybe bring a pie.
Post a Comment