Last time we discovered the origins of the word "spatula" as I'm sure your minds all rested easy having the question finally answered.
Today I wondered where in the heck the phrase "throw them under the bus," came from. We hear it all the time, I say it from time to time. What the heck does it even mean?!? The meaning we use it for seems like it would make more sense if it were "throw them to the wolves," or some other term indicating "blame him not me." But why would someone throw someone under the bus? Does the bus running over that person satisfy some need the bus has and ergo will not run you over? Is the bus a idol god requiring a sacrifice? These questions prompted my search.
Here is what I found:
"In an interview with NEWSWEEK, William Safire, the author of "Safire's Political Dictionary," traced the popularization of the phrase back to Cyndi Lauper, who jauntily tossed her critics "under the bus" after the release of her debut album "She's So Unusual" in 1983, says Safire. But he suspects that the phrase has deeper roots in minor-league baseball, where players are almost always bused to away games. In fact, its original meaning could be have been quite literal: be on time for the bus, or you will be thrown underneath it, into the storage bays. He says the metaphor has also been used as a way to say "get with it, or get lost," as in "you're either on the bus, or you're under it." He isn't quite sure when the meaning of the phrase crystallized into the act of 'summarily and decisively rejecting someone.'"
These euphemisms are interesting to me, because it wasn't even originally said with the meaning that we now attribute to it. Somehow it evolved to what is is now, no doubt perpetuated by someone wildly popular and influential, like myself. It really is a conundrum to decide what to do with all this power. Apparently, I have chosen to create a blog of meandering thoughts to mold the minds of a handful of people.
9 months ago
5 comments:
Deep.
Annie, I am so glad that you are feeling better! Don't worry, I ruined Sean's Thanksgiving too, they were definitely better days I could have given birth.
Perhaps the best example would be in your previous blog where you "threw your wife under the bus". Sooo, in response to both blogs, I would like to begin a list consisting of Must Haves for Rob's second wife, had Annie succumbed to an untimely demise at the hands of her inconsiderate appendix. And believe me, Rob, this list will be throwing someone under the bus...and it won't be Annie :)
1. Must come from sturdy peasant stock
2. Must smell of garlic and sweat at all times
3. Must wear clothes made of rough woven fabrics, preferably in drab colors
Anyone care to add to the list?
:) lovies, Mom
We hope you have a wonderful Holiday Season.
Love,
Ben & Michelle
Annie!
You and your crazy family make me laugh! I love the quote from Halle. I'm glad Rob showers...sometimes.
I miss our random conversations about whatever we are thinking about that day.
Sorry to hear about the appendix...you are such a trooper!
Stay in touch--Jessica Bailey
Post a Comment