February 26, 2009

Parenting Paradox

There are a lot of things you love about being a parent. Interestingly, some of those things are also things you hate about being a parent. Now, hate is kind of a strong word. I should say that these are things that annoy me, that I look forward to no longer occurring, things I could do without. But I'm pretty sure that at some point when I actually am without these things, I'm going to realize I miss them.
Here are a few:
1. Jumping into bed at night and finding a book under the blanket, and then a toy, and then a doll, and then a...and then a....
2. Along the same lines, showering with bath toys at your feet. Someday we'll have more than one bathroom. Master bath is OFF LIMITS!
3. The kids waking up at 6 AM when you want to sleep until 8, but they're so darn cute in the morning. You've got to cherish the times when they are cheerful and happy, but I love my sleep. And you will love it when I get my sleep too. Trust me.
4. Coming home from work when all you want to do is veg out and all they want to do is play, but all they want is to play with YOU!
5. Having a Daddy's girl, but so much so that Mommy can't do ANYTHING for her. Daddy has to dress her, bathe her, and wipe her bum. It gets OLD...FAST! But someday she's not going to want me, and it's going to sting.
6. Kids waking up in the middle of the night, but then having the funniest conversations you hope you're coherent enough to remember to write it down in the morning. (I still mostly hate this).
7. Teaching your kid how to ride a bike, but she's so worried that she needs your hand on her back the ENTIRE time. I should mention, she does still have training wheels, she just wants my hand to be touching her.
8. Singing the same songs again and again and AGAIN! But she sings along now! Every parent gets sick of this, and the kid has no idea why you don't want to do it for the twelfth time.
9. Having red curly hair tickling my face and nose all the time, but it's only because she wants to be on my lap whenever I'm home. Annie can testify, I do hate to have hair tickling my nose. Many a cuddle have been violently interrupted by my thrashing head after inhaling a stray hair. But someday she won't want to cuddle, or maybe even sit in the same room with me.
10. Watching kids TV shows. Annoying, but it helps me to talk to patients at work! When my kids are all grown, I'm going to have to dedicate some time to keeping up on what's new in kids pop culture. I've been able to calm lots of kids down with my knowledge. I mean, how bad can a dentist be if he knows the words to the Diego or Mickey Mouse Club house theme songs? I distract kids while I'm working by telling them stories, some are original, but most are library books. Don't be surprised if you see me in the children's book area of the library after all my kids have left the nest.

Parenting is a paradox. Some (most) days you can't wait to get them in bed, but once they're down everything crappy about the day seems a lot more cute. This must be the parenting endorphin God has given so we get up (at 6 AM) the next day and go to our crying kids and do it all over again. There's got to be a good name for that. I was thinking P.A.S.H. (Parental Anti Suicide/Homicide) Endorphin. Any other suggestions?

3 comments:

Danielle said...

First, what an adorable family picture of you guys!! And second, this post just cracks me up. I can't wait until we have a master bath too. And LOL about Halle being a daddy's girl. I can usually get out of a diaper change just by asking Charlotte who she wants to change her diaper. And it's always daddy. Lucky me.

Anonymous said...

Well put. I used to fantasize that there would be a super power that would allow me to freeze my life for 10 hours so I could: sleep, regroup, think, sleep, finish my laundry, sleep... but no such power exists and, therefore, we must all be tested to see if we will learn to enjoy the season we are in. I wasn't so good at that.
Oh, and having been the mother of five children with ONE BATHROOM...the Master Bath thing is a spiritual experience. No one under 40 was allowed my mine :)

)en said...

geez, rob. why do you hate being a parent? why do you hate your children? p.s. i saw a commercial today with a girl who looked like Halle and i thought, why, Halle needs to be in commercials. Those red curls are solid gold.