I MUST relate a funny story that happened to me this week. I'm on my Pediatric Medicine rotation right now, which basically means we spend time with Pediatric Physicians for 5 weeks in lots of different Specialty areas. This week, I am on the Illness clinic where kids come in for various concerns, illnesses, rashes, etc. Anyway, a 19 year old girl came in complaining of a headache since last Tuesday. So the Resident and I go in to question her about it, and see what's happening, and it went something like this
Resident: "So do you get headaches often?"
Girl: "No, not ever really."
"Was there anything about Tuesday that was different?"
"No, I just woke up with a headache and couldn't go back to sleep. Tylenol really didn't help at all."
"Where does the headache hurt?" The Resident asked.
Girl indicates her face, around the right temple and eye.
After 10 more minutes of questioning it finally comes out that the girl got jumped by a bunch of other girls. ON TUESDAY!!!
I asked, "Did this happen before or after your headache?"
Girl: "Before."
Res: "Did you get hit in the head at all?"
"No, just the face."
"Where did you get hit?"
Girl indicates her face, around the right temple and eye.
Hello!!! Do you think getting punched in the face might have something to do with your headache around the area? I was baffled that she wasn't connecting these dots herself. Sad for her, but baffled.
It gets worse.
Res: "On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst pain you've ever felt, where would you say this is?"
"On my head."
Res: "No...I mean..."
Be grateful for your brain cells people!
9 months ago
2 comments:
This is the kind of thing you see in a movie, and laugh because, of course no real person would ever say anything so sad... But now, I have to re-think the way I watch movies and TV. If a real person could actually say something so sad, then could the tiger/bat/scorpion/snake creature I saw on Fringe last night actually be real? Or could Falcor in The Never Ending Story actually fly? This changes everything.
I think I'll use this in a lesson on the importance of the word of wisdom for our priests tomorrow...
Post a Comment