A few days ago, I noticed some red dots around Halle's neck that looked like petechiae. After seeing these I started to think of some complaints Halle had made over the last week or so, like saying her wrist or knee hurt, and she had been getting a lot of bruises lately on her legs and back. Thinking about all these things seemed to connect something in my mind from something I learned a long time ago, but I couldn't quite figure out what it was. Whatever was floating around up there didn't seem to be a normal thing, and had me a little concerned so I set out to see what all these symptoms add up to. I knew that this could all be easily explained by normal things. Halle has had a cough for more than a week, which could easily cause the petechiae, and the weather has warmed up and we're playing outside for hours every day which adds up to lots of bumps and bruises. (plus she is Annie's child, and apparently inherited her ability to bruise like a peach). But just to be sure, I wanted to see what it could be, and satisfy my nagging thought that it might be something sinister.
I went to a website called wrongdiagnosis.com, which has a pretty lousy reputation among doctors, but has a feature where you can type in all the symptoms and get a list of possible diagnosis. So I type in "petechiae and joint pain in children." First on the list is Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia...
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! Talk about bad timing for an advertisement! I know Chili's is just paying for advertising on their site and if I were looking up plantar warts I would have had the same result. It just struck me as the most callus and inopportune line. Thinking of Halle with the possibility of a devestating disease, and getting this stupid line from a stupid restaraunt, as if any of that mattered when thinking of such a crappy thing.
Incidentally, I spoke with the Hem/occ doctor the next day, who told me it was most likely nothing, but petechiae in kids is never normal, so it wouldn't hurt to have the pediatrician look. Halle went just to make sure, and it seemed to be just from the cough, and they have gone away since. So it was nothing. There is a saying I hear all the time in dentistry and medicine, "When you hear hoof beats, expect to see a horse, not a zebra." That's the problem with medical knowledge, common things are common, but with knowledge about the rare, it comes to your mind and worries you.
11 months ago
14 comments:
i just realized i was holding my breathe the entire time i read that!
Sorry to hear about your struggle!
Google actually changed their advertising because of stuff like that. They try not to advertise alongside Gmail messages that seem to be about sickness or death, or something like that. You should write to WDx.com and Chili's and complain. It's really not appropriate for Chili's to be using that slogan on WDx.com at all.
O.K. Rob 'ol boy....let's make some new blogging rules:
1. When entering info that implies, or even hints that my grandchild could have a life threatening illness, but she doesn't, the caption MUST read:
"EVERYTHING IS O.K. AND HALLE IS JUST FINE SO DON'T WORRY GRANDMA, but an interesting thing happened...."
2....
I'm too emotionally drained to think of any more rules - and like Sarah, I not only held my breath, but bit my lip so hard it's bleeding, so I need a tissue.
Not cool, Rob, not cool. And I am not even a grandma!
Yes, I agree with the previous commentors-- you had me scared. Especially b/c not too long ago I was in denial and trying to explain away my own daughter's symptoms. Now I wish I had taken her to the doctor the first time that the "worse case scenario" went through my mind. Because it was.
My point being-- I'm glad you took Halle in to the doctor. Better to hear she's all fine and you're just overprotective, than to wait too long.
Woah! Sorry, I really didn't intend to worry anyone. For future reference, if anyone has cancer I will probably not post about it on a blog everyone knows already. I think posting about it would be the last thing on my mind! Sorry!
It sure puts things in perspective, doesn't it. So many things are just not important, when you think of what could be happening.
Danielle, what is going on in your life??
So that I don't freak out your other readers, I should explain my comment.
Charlotte (my 2 year old) was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes back in November. Charlotte is a trooper and takes her shots and finger pricks like a champion. Diabetes can be a pain to deal with sometimes, but I'd take diabetes over Leukemia. So I'm especially glad that Rob was just being a worry wart and that Halle's happy and healthy!
Once I started to breathe again after reading this post, I thought it was kind of funny. Kind of. :) (Just don't do it again, Rob!)
I just didn't think anyone would think I was announcing "Halle has cancer!" on a blog. Especially Family!
But I did want you to read it and feel the suspense, so that you could sense what I did when it happened. I suppose I could put a disclaimer at the beginning, but at least now you know how much you appreciate Halle being healthy!
Just wanted to say THANK YOU THANK YOU for posting the ctrl alt ROEN posting. Rachel just did that to our computer and I told John that I had just read the remedy and to fix it we just had to look at the Scoresby's blog. I'm glad Halle's ok by the way!
When I got done reading the blog, wiped the blood from my bit lip, the tears from my cheeks and stopped my heart from breaking, I realized "of course Rob wouldn't be telling us this in a blog!" but by then the damage was done...so please refer to my previous comment on "Captions" AND if I were you I would begin NOW planning some mighty amazing Mother's Day gift to make up for this blogging blunder!!!
p.s. teeheehee!!! just joking :)
Rob, I felt you. And I applaud you for not wanting to post things like that on blogs which I find outrageously inappropriate. And among all the held breath and worries, I laughed when i came to the Chili line. I totally agree with you, but it was funny... right? Maybe i'm the callous one.
For what it was worth Rob, I thought it was hilarious. Probably that is because I either A- Don't care about your kids, or B- Knew that you would have something funny at the end. Incidentally it was B. I care. Sorry to the others for egging you on even more.
What a scare! I was in suspense the whole time reading this. I'm so glad it ended up to be nothing. Gosh! Everyone's worst nightmare, right?
Post a Comment