9 months ago
July 31, 2009
Rob's Random Research Conclusion: How is Fast Food Cheaper than the good stuff?
All my research has yielded one main answer. You may not ever guess this, but it's Uncle Sam's fault!
One study did a Chemical analysis from restaurants across the country and found that almost every cow or chicken used in fast food is raised on a diet of corn. Our government subsidizes the heck out of corn, which makes it an uber cheap commodity to buy. So cattle ranchers feed corn to their cattle. But corn isn't what a cow was meant to eat all the time, and it increase their E. Coli build up in the their GI tract, so they mix the corn feed with all those yummy antibiotics. But even with that, it's STILL cheaper.
Our Government agricultural programs don't give much assistance to fruit and vegetable farmers. Organic growers have to pay for the costs of certifying and inspecting their own farms. But the inspection and regulation of “conventional” (non-organic) farms, feedlots, slaughterhouses, packing and processing plants (all the stuff fast food places uses) are paid for by our taxes.
Our subsidies guarantee the cheap supply of processed corn- and soybean-based carbohydrates and fats that the menus of and fast-food chains are filled with.
Woah, woah, woah! You're telling me that my hard earned money is going off to pay for crappy food that causes a myriad of chronic health problems like Heart Disease and Diabetes, and now my my beloved leaders are talking about taking MORE of my money to pay for THEIR care!?!?
I used to think a tax on Junk Food, similar to cigarettes, might not be a bad way of paying for all the health care costs our country is burdened by because of their effects. In this way, those that indulge too much and end up with these diseases will be contributing to their own little Health Savings account. But now I know we can just STOP subsidized the businesses that make it so cheap!
No wonder obesity is mostly an American problem! Our government! Directly subsidizing the obesity epidemic in our country! Maybe we should stop THAT, before instituting this insane Health Care overhaul. Can I get an AMEN!??!?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hmmmm....does In & Out Burgers count?
Ha! Touche.
I do like my In 'n Out. Of all fast food I would say In 'n Out is not as bad...but I will need to do another research day to find out if they feed their cows government subsidized corn...and I probably won't do it so feel free!
Did I read "Research Day" in here somewhere? That is awesome. This has all got to tie in to dental health, so I think you should make your official research project along these lines!
Yes, well...lets just say my Research Days are not completely on task for 8 hours! You can only do so much data entry before you have an aneurysm.
Post a Comment