July 31, 2009

Rob's Random Research...only the beginning

A fast food meal has thousands of ingredients, taken from all over the world, flown and driven thousands of miles to a location near you, and it's the cheapest food available.

Locally grown produce has one ingredient (whatever it is), and is driven down the street to the market or grocery store, and it's more expensive than the happy meal.

How the heck is that possible?!?! I don't know whether to be amazed at the brilliance of capitalism and the assembly line production America has perfected, or appalled at the need for it (in this case)!

I heard about a study done in Milwaukee, WI while interviewing there. They were trying to educate inner city families on healthy foods. When presented these options, the families asked where you can buy things like that. The investigators where baffled..."at the grocery store of course!" The families replied, "show me." The searched all over, there was not a market or grocery store within miles of these families. Most of them were without transportation and would have to take city buses with several connections to get to a store selling fresh produce (which costs more). So they shopped at the local convenience stores with their high fructose corn syrup laden products. No wonder we have an obesity epidemic! No wonder my patients Mother's think Fruit Chews are actual fruit!

Rob's Random Research is beginning! Globalization of the worlds products has somehow allowed McDonald's to have beef raised in Brazil, Buns made in Mexico, Cheese from Wisconsin, Fries from Bolivia, all shipped to anywhere (really! Where can you NOT find a McDonalds) and have it be so flippin cheap! Stay tuned....

3 comments:

Danielle said...

It really is sad. I watched a documentary on the poor people living in the Appalachian mountains. One father made the comment that they were so poor, they had to give their baby Pepsi in a bottle. If you think about it, Pepsi is cheaper than milk. But still, gah! No wonder no one over the age to 18 had any teeth left! The one woman said they only got enough food stamps to buy meat and then they didn't eat much the rest of the month. I think they were lacking in nutritional education. If you're that poor, meat should not be at the top of your grocery list.

Heather said...

I agree with you... For me to make dinner for myself with veggies, rice or potato, and meat cost me twice as much then it is to go to the closest fast food place and pick it up... And that also means that it is done and I dont have to cook it. I have a game that I play every time I go out of the country I try to see how long it will take to find a Mac D. My record after leaving the airport is 2 mins...

Higham Family said...

Your patient must be from Idaho; fruit chews have fruit in the name, so they must be a part of the fruit group. Aren't they? Pre-schools and a good share of parents here believe they are. Look forward to your research.