Names are a tough decision. I am picking this kids name that will reflect his personality for a lifetime! Sometimes if a name is too popular, it kind of turns me off to it. Forever I liked the name Hayden, but for the last 5 years the names Hayden, Cayden, Aiden, Jayden, Brayden, and other derivatives have been in the top 10. Plus it is derived from Heathen, and I could just picture him excitedly asking me someday what his name means, and I will have to say, "Godless one."
I like traditional names, but I also like names that are a bit more unique but not too far out there. Speaking of out there, I heard a new weird name from a classmate of mine. It was La-a. How would you pronounce it? Lah ah? Yeah, me too. Apparently this ticked off the Mom, and she said in her most exasperated voice, "The - is NOT silent!" That's right, Ladasha. Why isn't it Lahyphena? These never cease to amaze me! Anyways....
I have a solid, traditional name which I think suits me, but it's not without it's downside. Annie has a brother named Rob, so at family get-togethers (silent Dash) I look up whenever I hear the name and it often isn't directed at me. I know! Looking up is the worst!
Also, when I was in high school I asked a girl out after much courage mustering. I gave her a call and said, "Hi, this is Rob. I was wondering if you wanted to go to the supercross with me this weekend?"
"Oh..." She says, "Let me check with my parents." I could tell she held the phone away from her head for like 2 seconds and came back with a, "They said I can't."
Ouch...message received. I don't have any other memories of my female rejections. I'm sure that they happened, but this was a particular slam on the ego that has stuck with me. Plus this...
On Monday I was talking about the supercross with some friends and she overheard. "Oh," She said excitedly, "I got asked to go to that!"
After a slight dumbfounded pause I said, "Yeah...I know...I asked you."
"That was you?! I thought it was Rob Jones!" (Names have been changed to protect the rejected).
I'm happy to say, she seemed pretty bummed about the mistake. I learned my lesson too, after that I always stated my first AND Last name when asking a girl out, but I bet this wouldn't have happened if my name was Supreme. Incidentally, her blog is to the right --->
9 months ago
7 comments:
Ha ha ha! I felt terrible about that by the way. It should've hurt your ego if I knew it was you, not because I thought you were someone else. Good luck with the name! Tim and I really struggle with naming our kids too.
Wow - what a sad little tale of rejection. You realize, though, that no matter what you name this third child, second son, at some point he will be rejected by a girl. BUT, infinitely more painful would be if your first child, only daughter never had the opportunity to reject a boy. Wow - how did this comment get on this path, nothing good can come from this....
Anyhooooos, whatever you name this third child, second son, even if you name him Bozo, I will nestle him to my bosom and love him forever!!!!
I always love your Grandma M's comments! LOL! And I'm curious who Melinda thought she was rejecting that day. No fair not posting last names.
I don't like when names get too popular either. I've heard way too many Charlottes and Grants for my taste (even though they aren't super popular). But they were both named after grandparents, so oh freakin' well. But you have give that mom credit-- that poor girl will probably never meet another La-a in her life!
Melinda-
Ha ha, I wondered if you would even remember that! It didn't damage my ego once you said what happened, and it was pretty funny.
Grandma M- MY son get rejected by a girl? PSH! And Halle will have plenty of rejecting opportunities. I hope she takes care of the worst ones before her Dad has to intervene and tell the boys about my passive aggressive disorder, and my fool proof way of disposing of bodies.
A son-in-law after my own heart!
Haha, nice post, for a minute there I thought you were talking about Karina Anderson (who's name was next to the ----> (silent dashes) that you drew) and I laughed that she married "Rob." Then I read Melinda's post :)
No, no. Let the record show it WAS NOT Rob Andersen getting rejected.
Post a Comment