The following is a conversation between Halle and I today, while waiting in line at the store.
Halle: "Mom, look at this cute girl toy. I want to get it cuz' I really need to get a toy today."
Me: "Hmmm, not today, etc."
Halle: "Why not, etc."
(Repeat sequence a bagillion times)
Me: Finally, "Maybe you could put it on your Christmas list."
Halle: "So Santa could give it to me?"
Me: "Yep, you can ask him." (Meaning: "You can ask him, and quit asking me.")
In the car a few minutes later, I pick up the phone to call Rob.
Halle: “Who are you calling, Santa?”
Me: “Nope, just Daddy.”
Halle: “Then how do we tell him what we want?”
Me: “I'm pretty sure Santa only accepts letters, not phone calls.”
Halle: “Well, how do we know where he lives?”
Me: “Oh, he lives at the North Pole.”
Halle: “So…is there just a pretend Santa at the mall?”
Me: “Uh, yeah, I guess so. Although there may be magic involved, he does have reindeer that fly.”
Halle: “Oh. Is it winter there all the days of the year?”
Me: “Kind of, there's always snow.”
Halle: “Well Santa must be pretty chilly all the time then.”
Me: “No, not Santa. That’s why he has a big round belly and a long beard, and a suit with fur.”
Halle: “Yeah… but his hat is too small for his head.”
Me: “Huh. You’re right. I guess he really is magic, or his hat would fall off when he flew around with his reindeer.”
So, I’m thinking the Santa idea has about one, maybe two more years tops with Halle. Especially since she’s never even been to see Santa. Now that she’s figured out he’s just a pretend Santa, I think we’ll skip the lines at the mall this year.
3 comments:
so cute
and thank you for not boring us with the details....etc, etc....
(after endless hounding, i finally told bay - the santa truth- let's just say she is more than devistated. hope it goes better with Halle)
......ya i'm pretty sure I was 9, in the Bash, stopped dead in my tracks,turned to Amy dearest and said, "Mama youre Santa huh/" Her reply, "Welcome to the real world hun."
Yep...it's true. I'm not much for sugar coating things.
Post a Comment