December 27, 2009

And the Darwin Award Goes to...

I learned some lessons last night.

1. When working with black food coloring always close the cap immediately following use.
2. When black food coloring spills in large quantities on your table and cell phone a large manly gasp is all it takes to call your wife to prompt action.
3. All you care about is your cell phone, all your wife cares about it is the table.
4. Food coloring will dye your skin as well as your food.
5. Once you think you have it under control check beneath your expandable table to see if some leaked through the crack.
6. Once you realize a large amount of the dye is resting on the hidden leaf below the surface of your table and now dripping onto the floor, you may realize you severely underestimated the amount of dye spilled.
7. Before you expand your table to clean up the mess try to remember the last time you did it when the missionaries came for dinner and how the runners are broken.
8. Once your table has broken into two pieces and you're standing their holding a piece in each hand trying to keep your project, your laptop, and random Christmas crap from falling onto the floor or into the dye, it's good to have your wife around for an extra pair of hands.
9. When you clean one half of the table place it down on carpet.
10. Stand there holding the other half...getting heavier...until your wife can clean the rest of the dye off the leaf.
11. How many rolls of paper towels does it take to clean up  less than 3/4 oz. black food coloring? Answer: 1.5, plus a sham wow.
12. Once your table is back together, your back has rested, all items are placed back on the table, and you're working on your project again, DO NOT SPILL THE FOOD COLORING A SECOND TIME! Yes...actually happened, although much smaller, and not through the crack. Annie verbally berated me. I believe her actual words were, "Are you freaking kidding me?!?!"
13. It is wonderful to have someone to laugh with through all of this, it was really quite ridiculous and therefore pretty hilarious, and our heads hurt from laughing. Plus, the project turned out pretty good, you'll see the end product in about a week.

8 comments:

Pedaling said...

pictures of the finished project?

i want to see the pictures of the project in the making....

never mind,
you projected the perfect image(s) with the posted words.

funny "are you freakin' kidding me?"
hilarious!

Anonymous said...

what in the world could you be making with black food coloring, after Christmas?

I didn't even know there was black food coloring.

Uncle Teddy

miquelle and cody said...

Found your blog on someone elses in the ward! This little story had Cody and I laughing!

Rob said...

I'm making Roen a Thomas Train Cake and was working on the face last night out of fondit. I'll post some pictures when it's all done.

Jordan said...

Rob,

That sounds like a very impressive spill...And then to try and replicate the spill a few minutes later, wow. I wish I could have been watching during the clean-up process, too funny. Annie's "Are you freaking kidding me" sounds like a classic marital moment.

The Gardner Gang said...

SO FUNNY!!

And it's FONDANT Rob, not fondit, come on. I can't wait to see the cake though!

Rob said...

I posted my stupidy for the world to see, and then get my spelling corrected. Kick a guy while he's down, why don't ya!

It's my first time working wtih FONDANT and my first time spelling it too.

Grandma M. said...

I have raised a most kind and compassionate woman....'cause at my house you would be DEAD!