October 20, 2010

Soap Box

An example of why Federal Health Insurance will NOT work. At least, not without taking nearly every cent of your money to pay for it.

Mom comes into the office today, and the kid has an abcessed tooth. The tooth has had a crown placed on it before by a dentist in Yuma, but Mom says the crown came off. We ask why she just didn't go to the dentist in Yuma to have it retreated. After all, he did the work in the first place.

"Well...," she says, "I have missed like seven appointments there so he won't see  me anymore. So I got medicaid to pay for a taxi to come up here to see you guys so you can do it."

SEVEN APPOINTMENTS?! That guy was being SO gracious! And no wonder the tooth is abcessed, when you leave the crown off it for 3 months bacteria tend to do that.

Yuma is like 190 miles away from our office, or like a three hour drive. So out of curiosity, I looked up a tax company, and the fares are confusing as heck, but I think it has to be a minimum of $200 round trip.

She got free dental treatment for her kid in Yuma, and then spent $200 of your tax money to come to Phoenix because she can't keep an appointment with her local dentist. I don't have a problem with doing the work for this kid, because it's not the kids fault their parent is crazy, dumb, or irresponsible and that's why I can stomach seeing these people. Mom's fee for her incompetence ...$0. Another example are the kids who are going under general anesthesia for the second time before age 5 for full oral rehab. I bet Mom and Dad would take better care of them if they had to pay even a quarter of the bill the tax payers get.

And we just added 32 million people to this beautiful system.
SERENITY NOW!!!

4 comments:

)en said...

Ha ha. Oh, Rob.

Hey is that Yuma the same as 3:10 to Yuma? Did you see that movie? I liked it.

Rob said...

Yes, it was pretty good. I never really did understand Russel Crowe's motivation to keep going with that guy.

Pedaling said...

I like it when you pull out your soap box.

The Heaps said...

Soap Box away my friend! People need to hear it.