Near the end of January I ran in a half marathon in Queen Creek. It seems like my races always have something screwy happen a few weeks before and I can't train the way I want to. This time I aggravated my calf again just like I did in October for the Lake Powell Olympic Tri. This is the only injury I have ever had in training for all the races I have done. I think my body is telling me a guy with my build has no business doing endurance events, but I just say, 'shut up body, we're doing this, get on board,' and then my calf throws a fit and stops working. The only way I have figured out how to get over it is not run...at all...for at least two weeks. So I was thinking about skipping this, but 1 1/2 weeks before went out for a 3 mile run and felt OK, and then one week before ran 10 and still felt good so I went ahead. My goal was under 2 hours, and was able to get it with 1:55:33. Not super speedy, and I know this picture seems like there is no one behind me but I swear there were! I got 128th, out of 400 some odd people. I think those behind me were mostly disabled and elderly, but I totally destroyed them, and passed each of them with authority. I may have tripped a guy, but no one will ever know. What happens in the cotton fields stays in the cotton fields.
I never start a run at 8 AM, in fact I hate to finish later than 8, so I am always running in the dark or just at dawn. So, I wore what I wear at 5 AM. Turns out it gets warmer as the sun is up, and I dressed inappropriately. I was happy to have the warm clothes when I got there, but around 9 miles I was really wishing I was dressed right. Next time, I'll freeze at the start.
I got a sweet green ribbon. I guess they didn't want to give out medals because this is to raise money for childhood cancer victims, but whatever.
I never start a run at 8 AM, in fact I hate to finish later than 8, so I am always running in the dark or just at dawn. So, I wore what I wear at 5 AM. Turns out it gets warmer as the sun is up, and I dressed inappropriately. I was happy to have the warm clothes when I got there, but around 9 miles I was really wishing I was dressed right. Next time, I'll freeze at the start.
I got a sweet green ribbon. I guess they didn't want to give out medals because this is to raise money for childhood cancer victims, but whatever.
No comments:
Post a Comment