February 20, 2012

Puerto Morelos

On Monday we went to a town just south of Cancun call Puerto Morelos. This was an awesome place. It's off the normal touristy sites so it's nice and quiet. There is a cooperative group of fishermen who take turns taking people out to the reef to snorkel. We got in a little fishing boat with another couple from Washington and headed out. For only $25 bucks we got 2 hours of amazing snorkeling. The water is so shallow and clear that you can see everything, no use diving here when snorkeling is just as good. The other couple had gone snorkeling a couple other places but said this was way better. One of the guys would swim around with us and point things out or try to get bigger fish out from under the coral. We saw all kinds of fish, grouper, barracuda, and tons I don't know the name of. Lobster and Hermit Crabs in huge Conch shells. The water was perfectly warm and we had a great time.
Afterward we just laid around on the beach and read, slept, and watched some local kids play in the water, jumping off the dock. 

We ate at the restaurant behind Annie which had some great local food. Then we shopped and picked up lots of souvies for the kids. Of course, we made sure to find some Magnums!

Then we headed back to the hotel and got massages on the beach! The hotel has a little hut right on the sand and so we could hear the waves crashing. It was really relaxing (I've never had a massage before). Things I thought I would enjoy the most were just OK (like shoulder's and feet), but I loved when they massaged my hands. I guess a dentist's hands have it rough!

Hard to say what our favorite day was but this one was pretty great. We liked getting away from the crowds and just watching this quiet little local town. Plus, the snorkeling really can't be beat. 

No comments: