I have noticed an inordinate amount of extremely tanned individuals around campus. WAY too tan for the 4 days of sunshine we've had so far. They are fake bakers of course, making their trips to the tanning beds (aka cancer coffins) through the winter. I have been tempted from time to time to go myself, since I am a disgusting Ohio pasty white. But I can never quite bring myself to expose myself to cancer causing UV rays to satiate my vanity. As I walked across campus to my car, I thought of all the other potential cancer causing stuff in my life.
1. Microwaves. Something is just not right about bombarding my food with radiation to heat it up.
2. Fruit's and Vegetables. I'm to cheap to buy organic stuff, so I'm getting plenty of pesticides in my diet.
3. I heard a news story recently stating that just about every kind of plastic bottle leaches some kind of cancer causing chemical into your water. (they recommended metal water bottles-the research was probably sponsored by an aluminum company)
4. I also heard about eco-friendly paint. Apparently, most of the paint in our walls gives of emissions which pollute our atmosphere and can be harmful to our lungs.
5. Any kind of processed foods. My friends kid went to a birthday party with a grocery store bought cake and the next day his poop was the same color as the frosting! There's lots of dyes in the foods we eat, not to mention preservatives.
6. There's all kinds of radiation pelting my body throughout the day. Wireless internet, radio waves, Fluorescent lighting, dental x-rays, cell phone waves coming right too my pocket (gap sells special pants to protect the guys).
HOW ARE WE NOT ALL DEAD?!? I give up! There are too many things to avoid, and there's always new research stating that the thing they said was good last week is bad today. So we pick and choose what we want to listen too, and what we want to avoid. I choose to irradiate myself with natural light, and not pure Ultra Violet light in a tumor tube.
It's funny though, when you talk to a health nut. These holistic healing, anti-modern medicine folks who will pick and choose what they want to believe. Vaccines have saved hundreds of millions of lives but some research has suggested a minor correlation between a chemical in vaccines (not contained in them anymore) and increased incidence of autism. Therefore, they choose to expose their kids to diseases that have effectively been eradicated from the earth and claim it's a conspiracy by pharmaceutical companies to take our money (LETS BRING BACK SMALL POX AND SAVE A DIME!).
Fluoridated water is one of the most successful public health measures ever taken, but some totally baseless research links it to all kinds of garbage. In fact, there used to be a theory that it was a communist plot for mind control (now it's probably the Muslims).
Anywho, you choose your crazy stuff to live by and I'll choose mine. I recently read that toxic waste shortens the human life span only by about a week. So I'll worry more about the crappy drivers out there and less about the ingredients of my ice cream (but Breyers is all natural).
9 months ago
5 comments:
Very interesting points, Rob. And I've heard about those plastic bottles leeching chemicals. I think about it every time I had my kids a plastic sippy cup. Too bad we're too poor to afford "safe" bottles and organic food and chemical free products and that all other stuff. I guess we die first. Oh well.
I highly recommend reading "The Vaccine Book" by Dr. Sears. He's definitely pro-vaccine, so no worries there. But he brings up some very interesting points and does suggest a slower vaccine schedule. IMHO, the currently recommended schedule is way too much, way too soon and it could be done much safer. (There is actually very compelling evidence that the chemicals in vaccines can do harm, especially in small babies whose immune systems and brains are still developing.)
And by the way, we don't normally get vaccinated for smallpox anymore. :)
But I read too much and I'm way too opinionated. So I'll stop now. :)
Have a wonderful day!!
Just noticing your linked blogs... since when were the Beazers not cool enough?!
Does this mean I have to stop drinking Diet Pepsi?!!!!
wow. . . I . . . I don't know what to say. . . I think you have might have too much time on your hands. (But I guess I do too for reading that whole thing.) How do you have time to even think all of that through? I am amazed really. I never knew you ponder so hard on subject matter at this level. I think you might need a break though. Take a breather buddy.
Danielle: I totally agree the vaccination schedule is something to look at. Obviously a vaccine is supposed to stimulate an immune response so we're ready for the real deal, and too much at one time for a kid is kind of scary, not to mention all the chemicals in there. And my point with the small pox was that this is one of the diseases we have essentially successfully eliminated thanks to vaccinations, and by not vaccinating we're keeping some of these diseases more prevalent then they need to be !)
Beazers: You are not considered cool because I actually don't have your blog address. Once I examine it, I will pass my cool deeming judgment.
Grandma M: I'm pretty sure diet pepsi inactivates all harmful substances in your plastic bottle. We actually add a table spoon to all our year supply water.
Sarah: This was actually one continuous stream of thoughts pouring onto the keyboard. Feel free to be amazed at my awesomeness.
Post a Comment