I just got back from my last Ohio Project Rotation in Toledo. For those of you who don't know, Ohio Project is an Outreach Program where the dental students go all over Ohio (at our own expense) and work (for free) at clinics in underserved areas. The school loves to tout the awesomeness of the program. The students love to hate it.
This particular site has a pediatric department and an adult clinic. My first day I was in the pedo department...obviously right up my alley. The walls brightly colored, there are happy, friendly pictures all over the place. The equipment is fairly new and clean. The assistants are happy and bubbly (they kind of have to be in pedo). I loved it! No dental school checking in with instructors, no working by myself. Just doing dentistry, with no crap attached. Wow, what a great career choice I've made! I really do like this stuff.
The next day I was downstairs in the adult clinic. You can probably guess from the title how I felt about it. Nasty equipment, dirty rooms, not so happy assistants, and of course, the low socioeconomic status, underserved adult mouth. Adult mouths can be a nasty place to work. The masks dentist's wear are no match for some breaths (I think I threw up just a little bit). Huge fillings with poor prognosis, and of course, we were shucking teeth like it was going out of style. And every extraction was a tough one. After your third tooth in a row coming out in 25 pieces, you start to hate your life just a little bit.
That afternoon I went back to the pedo clinic and we had a screamer. The girl actually flipped out and hit her head on the counter top. So, I guess you could say there are some tradeoffs. I always knew there will be days when I wonder why I chose to work exclusively on kids, when you have to perform every time you enter a room. But having the contrast of this rotation was a beautiful thing. Cute kids upstairs, nasty adults down. Clean happy place up, dirty dark place down. Happiness up, misery down.
Now I don't think Hell is an actual location which happens to be down from where we currently are. But I know this dental clinic in Toledo where you actually see it, and it's only a flight of stairs away.
11 months ago
7 comments:
So annie, according to your blog we are not considered Ohio State Friends. I see how you are. Just kidding you dont have to put us on there if you dont want. I wanted to tell you that I love your blog.
how fun! i had no idea that you FINALLY started a blog! i just ran into rita last night at Golden Spoon. i just love her! i'm excited that i get to stay updated with you and your family. although it seems that rob is the primary contributer...maybe he'll post about the family, too!
Hey Rob! This really has nothing to do with the Heaven/Hell motif you've got going here...I've just been exploring this whole blog thing, enjoying some of your chosen friends and their blogs, and I was wondering - several of them have cool, nifty music playing on parts and I was wondering when you were going to kick it up a notch and add music? Really, there's no pressure, BUT Halle and Roen would be even cuter with some background music...don't you think? :) Hee! Hee! Hee!
Lovies, Grandma M.
I didn't know you were doing pedo!!! YES!!! I'll be looking for you down in the valley when you're done. My kids will give you a challenge, for sure, but they're DANG cute!
Carolyn
Sorry, but I only see cute AND well-behaved kids. You have two years to work on them before I come back:)
I love that Rob posts on your blog. I wish Ben would post more often. Keep up the good work Rob.
That's hilarious! I am going to make Shaun read this, he doesn't think he'll specialize as of now, but we'll see.
Post a Comment