May 17, 2008

Rob's Random Research for the Day


We were driving to a BBQ tonight, and I said to Annie, "Oh darn, I forgot the spatula."

Naturally, my mind immediately zeroed in on the oddness of the word spatula. And I wondered if it was named after its inventor Fredrick Von Spatula, or else why the odd name?

Upon our return home I hastened to the computer to put my mind at ease. Here is what I found:

The name spatula is the Latin derivative of the Greek word spathe meaning "any tool with a broad, flat blade."

Ah! The peaceful bliss of a mind at rest. Once again I regret not majoring in Latin, ergo I would never have these questions.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, have spent a goodly amount of time pondering the origins of certain names and expressions . . . and here I thought I was the only weird one among us. Thanks for making me feel all warm and fuzzy!
Lovies, Grandma M.
p.s. we could do with a few fresh pictures of my adorable grandchildren on the ole' blogspot!!!!

The Gardner Gang said...

Majoring in Latin, huh? You spoke once of things to define your geek level. Latin majors -- there you go.

Laura said...

so glad you cleared that up!

Allison said...

thanks for that...you're post reminds me of the dad from My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Allison said...

Grandma M-Hello! I think we could do with you having your own blog! I think it would be super cool reading...just think about it.

Anonymous said...

Wow! completely flattered to be considered Blog-worthy...but, alas, no time. I'll just keep reading Rob's - and wait for more cute pictures of my adorable grandchildren!!!!
Grandma M.

Katie said...

You know, I was pondering that just today... Seriously. Thanks for letting my mind move on to more important things!