May 12, 2008

Your Geek Level Defined

I was watching Star Wars Episode II for a second on TV the other day, and was reminded about how bad the dialogue on those movies is. But the thought that occured to me was how cool it would be to create a whole universe that goes on and on with other people getting involved in creating these offshoot storylines. People can reference Stormtroopers and Jedi and you know what their talking about. But man do they go overboard!

Star Trek is a good example. I admit...I am a Trek fan, but wouldn't go so far to say I'm a Trekkie. Anyway, did you know that they made an etire Klingon language? What the?! Is it not enough to know that they are speaking Klingon and say, "CHEW-LOCK NOR-SNEGK." Why in the heck would you go so far as to make an entire language with and alphabet and vocabulary? I lived next to a guy on my mission who was a major Trekkie, like thousands of dollars invested kind of Trekkie. He had actual Star ship schematics in official binders. It's enough for me to know the ship works. I don't need schematics of a warp core, or know where exactly on the ship the sleeping quarters are located. That is a major line from geeky to major geek-wad loser.

One more example. Lord of the Rings is one of the coolest stories of our time and I totally respect Tolkien for creating this entire fantasy world. But why go so far to actually write the elvish language complete with Songs and Poems? This medieval realm is a whole new bag of worms including World of Warcraft, Dungeons and Dragons, and the Medieval sword fighting club at BYU who practiced Saturday mornings with the wooden broad-swords to sharpen their skills. Just in case a geek fight breaks out or something.

So I'm drawing the line!

If you like Star Trek, you are normal. If you speak Klingon, or know that the Starship Defiant has 14 decks and in one episode they say something about deck 17 than you can now be officially dubbed a geek-wad. (by the way-my neighbor in Australia told me about that so no comments about my geek-wad status).

If you like Star Wars, you can be normal. If you have read the entire Han Solo story line. Prepare for an Atomic Wedgie next time you're in a high school locker room.

If you dress up as a wizard or an elf for Halloween that's fine. If deep inside you wish you could dress like this all the time and in anyway think your rank on World of Warcraft translates to real world power and prestige...well...there are medications for that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Man...I am pick'n up what you're lay'n down big guy!!!!! Try taking an upper level English class at ASU from a woman who did her PhD on the Klingon language [I know I probably did spell that right, thus proving my normal level of coolness] Yep, she did, and we heard about it ALL THE TIME!!!! Paid big bucks to hear all about Star Trek ALL SEMEMSTER LONG!!! The line must be drawn...or, perhaps they could invent their own planet and move there....?
But I will move this to an area I truly understand. I've read EVERYTHING Jane Austen as written several times....so, I have a Masters in English, that should be expected. BUT, I knew this girl who had a "Jane Austen Wedding" which was the saddest thing I've ever seen. Let's face it, the dresses during that period of time stunk...why would you doom your wedding day to that...?
A point well taken, Rob, I'm totally with you!
Grandma M.

Laura said...

Nate and I totally rented Trekkies one night...I thought it was a docu-spoof (kind of like the office). turns out they were real people and TOTALLY serious. The dentist...the juror...yeah, they both need help!

David and Kristi Gailey said...

I hope for your sake Rob that Kendell does not stumble across your website and reads what you have said about "his" people. You just might get a "phaser" to the head:)