August 22, 2008

Olympics and O-Lame-pics

We have been total Olympic Junkies these past two weeks. Get home from work, have dinner, put the kids to bed, watch Olympics. It's been pretty awesome so far, but how do some of these sports get started!? Some make total sense, lets see who can run faster, or lets see who can huck this huge heavy ball the furthest. But how in the heck did diving get to where it is? I can kind of see how it starts, lots of guys get together and try to out do each other jumping of a cliff or diving board. But I always wonder how they assign values to stuff. "Oh his legs were definitely apart a little there...minus 2 tenths." Then lets do synchronized diving! What? Synchronized gayness! Show some more track and field!

This also segways into an important point of taking backyard games way to seriously. Trampoline? For real?! I wouldn't even be able to admit I got a medal if it was in trampoline. What kind of interview would that be?

"How did you get into trampolining?"

"Well, we had a trampoline, and I had no friends, so I jumped a lot."

Also, badminton. Have you seen these guys play? I have to admit, they are wicked awesome badminton players, but they are playing badminton. This is a game for people who couldn't hack it in tennis, or volleyball.

So you may be able to tell that I'm a sport snob. By my almighty decree some things are games, and some are sports. (yes, I know it's the Olympic GAMES but you cannot combat this logic).

Gymnastics = Sport (if you can hold your body parallel to the floor on two rings it is most definitely a sport)

Rhythmic gymnastics = dance/game (why don't we just let the ballerinas compete?)

Equestrian = horse Olympics. Great horse dude, you trained him very well, but I do not believe you did any work during this event.

Weightlifting = sport (duh-you just threw 300 lbs over your head-definitely Olympic worthy)

Ping-Pong (AKA Table Tennis for those who take it too seriously)=game (yes they are amazing, yes they work up a sweat while they play-but c'mon! It's ping pong! Go back to the basement and play, there should never be two ping pong paddles emblazoned onto a gold medal ever again).

To all Olympians, congratulations on an awesome life achievement, I would love to have a medal. To the IOC-lets review the sports we're taking on here! We're taking away baseball and softball and keeping trampoline?! If trampoline is an event, then pediatric dentistry is definitely Olympic worthy. The medal could show a dentist with a drill and a kid in a head-lock. Oh yeah, I will see you in 2012!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I soooo agree with you, and can I say, just for the record...what's with the "one size fits all" olympic sports outfits? Is is really necessary to wear a barbie-doll size swimsuit to compete in beach volleyball? And I just have two words for the who gymnastic/diving thing: butt-cheeks - we don't want to see them! And, so you know you have more than my support, Dad made me fast forward through the male diving for obvious reasons.

Allison said...

this is my favorite post so far, b/c we've been saying the same things. when the rope gymnastic started the other day blake was just floored at how weird it was...same goes for the trampoline.

can't wait to see you in 2012!

Katie said...

I might know someone who'd disagree about ping pong. Whenever you'd like to discuss it with him, feel free to stop by our basement!

)en said...

That is funny because I LOVE the lame/offbeat events. Trampoline kills me. And when I found out badminton was an event, it really made my olympic dreams into more of a reality. (in that i think i could be in the olympics for that) Funny stuff. I'm sad they're over.

Keri said...

That is really funny! I didn't even know there was such thing as rhythmic gymnastics until I was watching it. It reminded me alot of the flag girls at highschool football games.