August 6, 2008

The Public Market

Yesterday I finally ventured out with some friends and all of our kids to the Public Market. I have been wanting to go since we first visited Rochester in May, but never quite made the trip. Oh man, I have been missing out. The Public Market is like a giant Farmer's Market, with lots of outdoor vendors selling produce and bohemian dresses, along with a few enclosed buildings with cheeses and flowers and such. I only went to the produce stalls this time, but I am excited to check out the rest next time. Oh, and there's also a flea market building that I'm quite interested in; I'm sure I'll uncover something fabulous that my children will later sell on Antiques Roadshow. I was so blown away by the quality of produce, and especially the price, that Rob is probably sick of listening to me yap about it. So I will spare him and make a list of what I bought. I was mightily impressed, and if you are from an area where locally grown produce is not so beautifully displayed, (year-round, I might add), then I'm sure you will be too.

1 Quart cherries
1 Quart apricots
1 bunch cilantro
5 pablano peppers
1 Quart salt potatoes
1 Pint blueberries
10 ears of corn
2 red bell peppers
1 Quart tomatoes, 2 varieties
huge bunch of red grapes

= $15.00, What?!! Incredible, I know.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

$15.00?? That IS amazing! I am a little disappointed, however, that you did not come away with any bohemian dresses. Too bad.

The Robbs said...

I have to say that I am jealous. Nothing like that out here in the sticks!

Anonymous said...

Almost every day I drag my hose across my lawn in 115 heat to help my wilting squash and chili plants hang on one more day...I am feel'n your JOY!!!!!
Go forth my daughter and feast upon the bounty of the earth, adorn yourself in a bohemian dress and perform the gratitude dance before the Gods of produce....cause it won't be like that in Arizona...

Katie said...

Oh yes, produce and bohemian dresses. that's a logical combination! And as for antiques roadshow...You ever see the very end where there's a bunch of people that say "i found out that my piece of junk really is that...it's worth about 2$. But we had fun!"? Good luck with that flea market! :)

Allison said...

isnt' it just wonderful! we have a market less than a mile from our place we went this weekend. i bought a bunch of fresh lavender and i am in love! i also can't get over the prices and the freshness! i am happy for you that it sounds like you are liking your new home.

oh, if you can, find a farm to pick some produce. we went to a farm and picked berries and there were a lot of little kids there looking like they were having a blast...just a thought.

Anonymous said...

O.K. Now I'm really bitter...