October 9, 2009

Blog worthy? Absolutely.

I had a thought recently. Will there come a day when the phrase "Nothing to write home about," will be replaced with "Nothing to blog about?" I quickly came to the conclusion that this will never happen, because we are willing to blog (and read) about the most mundane day to day occurrences. NO event is unworthy of a blog post.
I will demonstrate.

I got my haircut on Saturday, and after the usual and short discussion of the weather, my barber informed me very quickly that he was a meteorologist and we should expect some snow by Monday the 12th! It took me a while to figure out how to ask this very short and weird man why he was working as a barber if he was a meteorologist (assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that meteorology is more lucrative profession than cutting hair at Fantastic Sam's); And he said that most people just use computers now-a-days, but he is an actual, traditional, meteorologist reading the sun spots and patterns, and such. Next time I come in, he says, I'll be telling him he was right about the snow. Then he asks, "What do you do?"

"I'm a pediatric dentist."

"Oh yeah? Can you prescribe drugs?"

(italics symbolize comments in my head)...that's...not a normal first question. Drug addict? Does he think I carry prescription pad with me? "er...yes, but we don't prescribe that many drugs in pediatric dentistry."

"You don't use nitrous oxide, do you?"

"Actually, yeah, we use it every day, probably more than any other branch of dentistry."

"I heard people on drugs can have bad reactions to nitrous oxide."

OK, definitely a drug addict. I wonder if it's illegal to sell Annie's left over vicodin from her appendectomy last year? Probably. "Er...Not sure, never heard that. We don't get many drug addicted kids coming in the office."

Many more weird things happened there, including a crappy haircut, and that was my first and last time going there.

Were you entertained? I hope so, but if not, I'll never know, that's the beauty of it! I know what you're thinking, "that was a lame thing to post about!" But if I hadn't included that first paragraph you would have all said, "PSH! -Selling vicodin! Ha! Silly Rob,"and you would have just clicked on the next blog to read about their "haircut" and wouldn't have given it a second thought. And I bet their "haircut" didn't include a drug-addicted, weather-predicting barber.

4 comments:

)en said...

This is a great story. I also believe that almost anything (almost) can be "blog-worthy" (although you're right, that doesn't really mean anything)or entertaining if told the right way. So, well done. I laughed out loud at:

"I will demonstrate."

A "meteorologist" at Fantastic Sam's is a great story.

Grandma M. said...

I must admit I'm in this whole blog reading thing for pictures of my adorable grandchildren...a humorous story now and then is a delight, but I have such little time -it's you, April, Pioneer Woman Cooks...and that's about it. I do, though, know SO MANY woman who literally spend their entire day reading other people's blogs. This I don't get. Why not get up and live your own life, instead of reading about how other people live theirs????? Perhaps you have an answer for me on this...I believe it's akin to watching soap operas all day...whatever! Do your laundry, fix your family dinner and BE A MOM for pete's sake!!!!
Wow - I kinda ranted there...sorry :)

goofy feet said...

koo koo! i mean the haircutter, not u so much. crazy people r great to have around for the entertainment value!
you have inspired me to now blog about my equally horrible haircutting experience... sometime, when i get around to it.

Traci M said...

I thought it was pretty funny.