June 18, 2010

If we have to share the facilities...

First of all, I am NOT  a germ-a-phobe.  I deal with dirty mouths all day. I let my kids eat dirt, and don't worry when their food falls on the ground. I figure, what else do we have an immune system for? That being said, I have some public bathroom preferences. No OCD here, I don't carry sanitizer or paper towels in my pockets. I still use those facilities that don't comply with my criteria, but I really get a happy feeling inside when they've gotten it right. And this is how it's done.

1. I don't want to touch anything. Airports is really the only place you can find this. No doors to grab the handles after the nasty "public" doesn't wash their hands. Automatic water, soap, paper towels. When I wash my hands, I can walk out without touching anything. Then I can go sit in the super clean airport chairs, or go on the moving side walk with my hand on the rail...I know, it doesn't make a difference, germs are everywhere, but I like to walk out of the bathroom not worrying about touching my face or something.
2. If they have a door, it should be a door that opens out, with no handle, so I can push it with my foot, back or whatever.
3. No stupid short faucets where you can't rinse your hands without touching the back of the sink! Probably a product of scrubbing in the OR, but I usually soap and lather, and then let the water wash off the suds without rubbing my hands together. If the faucet is super short it makes it difficult. Why is this stupid sink so big if you have a tiny faucet?!
4. I hate using the stalls in a public bathroom, but I like having disposable seat covers. I don't really like those automatic rotating covers. I'm not sure I buy that all fresh and new stuff comes rotating out. I don't really know where it goes with it rotates back inside the machine, but I imagine it just goes in this nice enclosed humid environment and incubates all kinds of nastiness and then rotates back out. sick!

That's pretty much it. If all you sick "public" would just wash your freaking hands this wouldn't be an issue. But as you may have guessed from this blog, I'm a people watcher, and I know you don't do it!

Yeah, I just posted on what I like in a public bathroom! You know you've thought about it too...unless you're one of those people.

4 comments:

Sean Rigby said...

If I agreed with you any more it would hurt. Short faucets defeat the purpose of hand washing. Seriously, we don't need to fill the wash basin for a shave and wash behind the ears. Just let us wash our hands without wiping the sink clean in the process.

Charity said...

OH I dido you completely!

)en said...

"I don't carry sanitizer or paper towels in my pockets."

ha ha. Sean and i both do this, however we do also live in STD City.

Yeah, bathrooms are mega-gross. I try so hard to not have to touch anything either, and if i do, i try to use my knuckles since i usually don't touch things with my knuckles.

Rob said...

It's no really my field, but I don't think hand sanitizer and paper towels are going to help with STDs!